Monday, March 9, 2009

True Calling

I had something weird happen to me this morning that I am sorting through. After doing my initial morning job search on the information supernetwork highway, I turned on the TV for some much-needed background noise. The TV happened to already be on ESPN, and some meaningless sports-blather sounded more appealing than the cable news network hellfire these days. The World Baseball Classic was on. The WBC is basically the baseball Olympics, held every two years, and is comprised of teams from the Americas, Asia, and a smattering of Europe and Oceana. Japan and Korea happend to be playing. Besides watching some excellent baseball, I had a very odd observation about myself. At one point, I noted how strange it was for me to watch all-Asian baseball because I maybe know two players. Then, I looked down and I was wearing a Chairman Mao shirt my buddy brought back for me from Hong Kong. It's important to note that I am not a Maoist or admire the Chairman. The shirt fits really well and is comfortable. So, I laughed at myself thinking how ridiculous it was to watch Japan v. Korea on a Magnavox, while wearing a Mao shirt. But the kicker was when I saw the left over Thai food I was eating at my desk, next to my Toshiba laptop. By the way, I checked my underwear; it's from Nam. At that moment, I was never more pan-Asian. Mainland China, Japan, the Korean Peninsula, and Southeast Asia were all accounted for. What the hell?

3 comments:

  1. Embrace your inner Asian, George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm reading this while wearing: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19517761

    um, why immediately check your underwear? anyway, it paints a vivid picture of you spilling leftover thai food on those porcelain gams of yours.

    ReplyDelete